ABOUT THE TEXAS JACK ASSOCIATION
The Texas Jack Association is a 501(c) non-profit organization that commemorates the life and times of John B. “Texas Jack” Omohundro. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in Texas Jack and the frontier West. For more information on membership, see Join TJA.
A brief history of the Association
The Texas Jack Association was the brain child of Springfield, Illinois, attorney (and history buff) Frank Sullivan, who discovered Texas Jack in the writings of the Irish nobleman Lord Dunraven, and recognized him as a colorful and outstanding player in the saga of America's Old West. At a meeting of the Sons of the American Revolution, Frank happened to meet Malvern Hill ("M.H.") Omohundro Jr., of Virginia. Noting his unusual name, Frank asked if M.H. was any relation to Texas Jack. Upon learning that M.H. was in fact Texas Jack's nephew, a lasting friendship was born. This meeting sowed the seeds of the creation of the Texas Jack Association.
In 1980 the two men convened a meeting of interested friends and relatives of Texas Jack Omohundro in Leadville, Colorado in the town where he died 100 years earlier.
Four years later in 1984, the group, numbering under 15, met informally in Cody, Wyoming and decided to expand the Association under the leadership of Dennis and Julie Greene of California. The Greenes developed the organizational structure under which the Association operates today, printed promotional literature, and edited and distributed the newsletter, The Scout.
The Association's members decided to meet every two years, and the tradition of the biennial "roundup" was born.
Officers are elected every two years at Texas Jack Association "Roundups". Current officers are:
- President: Carole Brown, Nipomo, California
- Vice President: Larry Tyree, Lee's Summit, Missouri
- Secretary: Linda Omohundro, Columbus, Ohio
- Treasurer: Rick Omohundro, Salt Lick, Kentucky
- Director: Mary Golladay, Scottsville, Virginia
- The Texas Jack Scout Editors: Larry Tyree, Production Manager and Linda Omohundro, Layout
- Historian: Edna Nees, Scottsville, VA
- Founder: Frank Sullivan
- First Chairman: Malvern H. Omohundro, Jr.
- Edna Nees, Scottsville, VA
- Julie Greene, Carmel, CA
- Dennis Greene, Carmel, CA
- Mrs. Henry R. Coe, Cody, WY
- The Earl of Dunraven VII Co. Limerick, Ireland
- Mr. Fred H. Garlow, Jr., Cody, WY, Grandson of William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody
- The Knight of Glin, Co. Limerick, Ireland, Great- grandson of the Earl of Dunraven IV
- Mr. Herschel C. Logan, Santa Ana, CA, Author of Buckskin and Satin
- Mrs. Nellie Snyder Yost, North Platte, NE, Historian of the Plains
THE TEXAS JACK SCOUT
The Texas Jack Scout is the official publication of The Texas Jack Association, published three times per year. Subscription is included in annual membership dues. For membership, visit Join TJA.
The Texas Jack Scout
1844 NE Parks Summit Blvd.
Lee's Summit, MO 64064